View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #45
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
You didn't stipulate that a fight would be present while the PZ is being activated. From your post, it seemed that you wanted the fight simply cut and have Zod sucked in while he is in the ship:

I would have been perfectly fine had it been structured how you know present it.
Well, what I hand in mind was:

1: Superman crashes into the scout ship (like in the movie).

2: Superman wrecks the cout ship (like in the movie).

3: Instead of just leaving Zod for no apparent reason, Superman tackles Zod out of the scout ship and forces him into the event horizon with the others.

How much a fight there should be between 2 and 3 is debatable but I honestly wouldn't mind if there wasn't much of one. For one, I don't really see why a sufficiently big/long fight between the main hero and the main villain is necessary (a lot of great action movies don't play out that way), and for one I kind of like the idea that Superman beats Zod by doing something clever like using the Phantom Zone drive instead of using his powers and raw brute force. If a central theme in the movie is Superman defining himself as a person in contrast to what Zod stands for, using his intellect which is a result largely of his upbringing to save the day instead of his Kyrptonian inherited powers for brute force the way Zod would is a little more thematically effective.

And, ultimately, does the number of punches thrown between the scout ship and the event horizon really matter? We end up in the same place anyway. As long as the pace is slow enough that people can take in what's happening (and really, Man of Steel's single biggest flaw is that they didn't do that throughout most of the film), then I'm all fine with making Zod's exit from the movie pretty quick.

Quote:
So now it does resolve the central conflict? That was my only point. I never said it was the best way to do it, in fact, I agreed that it could have been better integrated.
I don't think it does. The central conflict, while not very well defined I think, was already resolved by that point. Superman stopped the invasion, Superman had already decided to stand with humanity instead of against it, Superman destroyed any hope of using the codex to repopulate Krypton on Earth. Thematically, the conflict was resolved. Killing Zod was a loose end of the plot.

Quote:
That is a good point. Overall, I'm on the fence about the whole destruction discussion, but that could have helped ease that tension. As it stands now, the only moment that truly bugged me was his leaping over the tanker and letting it explode behind him -- that was negligent. I'm willing to give him more of a pass on the rest as it's his first outing and Zod is most definitely a handful. Also, Zod is the one that causes the majority of the destruction.
There's also the bit were Superman slams Zod's face into the side of a building and then drags it along at high speed, completely wrecking the outside of the building. And there's the fact that Superman doesn't even make a token attempt to force the fight to a less populated area.

And, really, the "it's his first outing" defense doesn't hold water for me. If you're going to pull that off, you then have to have Superman actually acknowledge that he made a lot of mistakes and has to do better when it comes to being Superman.

Quote:
I'm really surprised that you would find a brief encounter in Smallville and a short discussion on the scout ship while Zod is in sitting in the driver's seat as sufficient battles.
I'm not sure having a "sufficient battle" is something a movie necessarily needs.

Quote:
I think it would have cheated the audience if it went as you previously presented it. If their last interaction was in that scout ship, it simply would not have been enough.
But why wouldn't it have been enough? What constitutes "enough?" Why is "enough" something that's needed in the first place.

Quote:
At that point the best action piece would have been Superman and the World Builder and there are plenty people here who are not fans of that.
What makes a good action sequence in your mind?

Last edited by The Question; 09-23-2013 at 11:25 AM.