View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #58
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
I think 300 is basically a masterpiece of its kind. I think it is the one film in Snyder's canon where all the stars aligned, right from the script, to visuals, to the actors, to the performances, everything came through an delivered. It is not the deepest film out there sure, but I believe in the auteur theory. I believe in form over content, and form does not mean style, it means the mis-en-scene and the composition and how the film is staged. And that to me is an absolute triumph in 300. It kinda reminded me of Sergei Eisenstein.

And the imagery is so bold, so subversively macho. And the central performance by Gerard Butler is one for the ages. I think everything works in 300, a superb achievement and Snyder's fully realized film.
Well, I think content and form are equally important myself.

I also don't see how the macho-ness of 300 is particularly subversive. It's a pretty standard male power fantasy, just turned up to 11.

Even on those grounds, though, the movie has structural problems. The entire subplot with Leonidas' wife is basically padding.