View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #62
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Its extremeness is subversive, specially in today's time. Butler said the Spartans could be seen as the villains very easily. Leonidas is absolutely savage, bloodthirsty on the battlefield, butchering his enemies with relish, hacking them to pieces. He's also very arrogant and intimidating, basically a guy who be absolutely terrifying were he not on your side. And all this presented without the slightest dash of irony or modernism, just served up straight on the rocks.
All of that sounds like pretty standard mainstream western ideals of strength and masculinity to me. Presenting and glorifying the dominant culture's standard of masculinity, negative aspects and all, in a completely un-ironic fashion doesn't sound like any kind of subversion to me. It kind of sounds like the opposite of subversion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
That I agree is padding, but Snyder said it helped him slightly break the extreme machismo of the film with a female presence. And I think the payoff of her subplot is good.
It served that structural purpose, but that doesn't mean it was well constructed. You can break up the tone of a story with a subplot and also have that subplot be both relevant to the story and have it's own worth and substance.

Also, what was the payoff exactly? I don't remember being wowed by it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: