View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #65
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
All of that sounds like pretty standard mainstream western ideals of strength and masculinity to me. Presenting and glorifying the dominant culture's standard of masculinity, negative aspects and all, in a completely un-ironic fashion doesn't sound like any kind of subversion to me. It kind of sounds like the opposite of subversion.
it.
Its not widely present in the mainstream where the hero is a toured good guy still lovable. It was subversive because of the culture today where modernism demands different angles to everything. 300's very monolithic nature was audacious because of its very primitiveness. The imagery of the movie could also be said to be vaguely fascist, specially in regards to the Spartans excessive pride in their physical superiority. For a civilized audience it might be confronting that they are technically supposed to root for these guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post
Also, what was the payoff exactly? I don't remember being wowed by it.
She gets to give her own comeuppance and contribution where she murders that traitor in the senate. And above all it added context to show what the war was being fought for in the first place and what was going on at home.