View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #79
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Maybe you were meant to watch this and future films back to back?
But we can't. At least, not for three years.

Quote:
Besides Star Wars did exactly the same thing. In A New Hope, Luke was given this awesome weapon and told about this "Force" and this grand legacy of Jedi Knights he's part of. Yet, that was barely explored in that film by itself. He uses a lightsaber once for barely 5 minutes and the force only in the Death Star trench run. When Empire Strikes Back happened along with Return of the Jedi we only see Luke really embrace his legacy and the lightsaber as well as using the force to the best of his ability. Bottom line is, Luke's story fleshed out in the sequels.
That's not exactly the same thing. Those are plot details, which isn't the same thing as addressing and dramatizing the things that happen in your movie. Yes, the lightsaber and the Jedi order and the force weren't delved into in great detail in the first movie, there were there to be little story hooks and lay the ground work for the plot of the sequels, but they were still addressed and dramatized within the first film. The lightsaber was shown as Luke's only link to a father he never knew with a past that was hidden from him, the Jedi order was shown to be the great destiny that Luke had always hoped for and learning of it changed his life forever, the force was this great mysterious thing that gave us a glimpse of a larger world and what Luke might one day become. We didn't get all of the answers, but these things were still addressed in the first movie.

Quote:
Not everybody has to follow "some set of rules" when it comes to coming up with how the movie goes. Some things are just too big to be explored in one movie.
Addressing the destruction and the seriousness of it isn't too big to be explored in the first movie. I'm not saying have a beginning middle and end for a plot about the reconstruction of Metropolis and how it changed the world. I'm talking about reaction shots, I'm talking about taking a moment to acknowledge what happened and why it matters. You don't have to save that for another movie. You can expand on it in another movie, center the sequel's plot around it, but you can still have it in the first film.

Quote:
As for that scene of the next minute being at Kent Farm, anybody could tell considerable time has passed.
Yes. And? I never argued that the scene at Kent farm took place seconds after the fight. My point is that the movie skipped over that time instead of even taking a moment to address the emotional reality of the aftermath. The movie deemed that to be unimportant. That, I think, is a problem.

Quote:
I foresee plenty of flashbacks to the events of Man of Steel in the sequel which will become important plot devices.
That's all well and good for the sequel, but that doesn't change the fact that those things aren't in Man of Steel.