View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #81
Isearch4dope
Side-Kick

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Question View Post

Stories need to actually dramatize their content to have a meaningful emotional connection with the audience. Yes, it's obvious that people are dying by the thousands, but if the movie doesn't actually dramatize that then at best it feels false and hollow and and worst it feels cynical, disrespectful, and cold.

You say that you assume that Superman mourned all of it after killing Zod. But the movie doesn't show us this. We cut from Zod's death to Superman smiling and laughing in a conversation with his mother, and the next time we see Metropolis it looks like nothing ever happened. You can see why that feels really weird and makes people uncomfortable, right? You can see why that feels like the movie is completely disregarding the very serious and very obvious implications of what happened, right?

It all boils down to the old adage of "show, don't tell." The saying's as old as dirt that in a story, you have to show your audience what's happening and what it means, not just tell them about it. Having all of that destruction without dramatizing the seriousness and implications of it is telling, not through words per-se but through a very basic shorthand. We see all of this destruction and we're supposed to feel that there are serious stakes and these are serious things, but they don't show us the emotional and psychological toll it takes on our characters, not does it show us the effect these events are having on the lives of the people of Metropolis. They give us images of buildings falling down and basically tell us to feel sad about it. And, sure, on an intellectual level we know it's sad, but we don't feel it in our gut the way we're supposed to, the way a movie is supposed to make us feel.

I really don't think it's a failure on the part of the audience if the filmmakers don't ground the events of their climax emotionally, and instead just throw images at us and expect us to feel things. That doesn't seem, to me, to be very effective storytelling.
THIS!!! I've noticed this trend (maybe it's just me ) in TDKR and now MOS where there's this emotional disconnect that just makes the movie and characters feel off and cold. One example is when Zod and Co. arrived over Metropolis and all the fear among humans (one of the few moments done well) is immediately undone the next day when things just seemingly go back to normal with this looming alien threat. I mean people are going back to work, school etc. like nothing happened and I'm supposed to be invested in this film. You can't raise the question of how would people react if they knew aliens etc.....and not have widespread panic and fear worse when the aliens have threatened you. The big question is posted, clearly a central theme, repeated about a million times and then we get no answers and end on a happily ever after kinda note. WTH? This is only one of the many emotionally and logically detached moments of the film. The thing that drew me (personally) to DC was their attempt to ground their stories as close to reality as possible but the way things are going we might not be able to differentiate between them and the other guys....which is just sad.