View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #31
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Yeah, it's funny...while some claim it prevented the trilogy from being perfect, I agree with shauner, it actually perfected it. It took elements from two very different, contrasting films (BB and TDK) and synthesized it all while pushing forward into this grand, epic climax that tied up a lot of themes and hammered home the ultimate message of the whole thing. Without TDKR, you just have two movies...thesis/antithesis. TDKR is what threads them together and makes it into a cohesive trilogy.
Though I do agree with this, Rises did do deconstruction in a similar way that Knight did. Begins was the setup to both Bruce and Batman and the sequel deconstructed Batman in various ways, finally inverting the symbol by vilifying him. Rises deconstructs Bruce Wayne by paring down the trappings of his life like him losing his fortune (his only superpower), pushing Alfred away, and eventually even his ability to be Batman. It also shows what damage crime fighting has done to his body in his age. Knight truly put Batman through the crucible and Rises took Bruce all the way to edge in which he had nothing left save pure will.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote