View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #83
The Question
Objectivism doesn't work.

Default Re: "...a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent": Does this not worry anyone els

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
"Experience" maybe isn't the right word then. I guess the more correct statement is that Bruce has already prepared for the job better and has seen more of the evils of the world than Clark. Though even then, it wasn't entirely just book learning and physical training. There were times when he had his abilities put to the test - tests where he had to use everything he trained his body and mind for to survive.
Well, that last part tends to vary from version to version. There are some versions where, in spite of all of his training, his first night out was the first time he was every seriously in danger. Personally I think that's more fun, but then I prefer a Batman who has to struggle to get things done.

Quote:
Even if you were to argue that Batman needs a headstart to Superman, an age gap of 2 or 3 years and a career maximum of 5 years prior to Superman's debut is more than enough IMO. No point to get a late 30's/early 40's Batman next to an early 30's Superman.
Well, I think the reason people assume that much of a gap is because that's the age gap between the actors.

Quote:
To each his own, I guess. I always saw it that way. The rest of the team are for the most part just like us in their heart and personality but with powers. Batman is the least relatable, is obsessive, cynical, cold, calculative, etc. That's also part of what makes the Batman/Superman dynamic so interesting IMO - the demigod is the more human of the two at heart.
Y'see, what you describe sounds very human to me. Not particularly healthy or balanced, but human. Batman's an introvert who suffers from depression who's created this belief system and monastic lifestyle for himself to cope with his pain. The details may be different, but I can relate to that on a pretty basic level.