View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: What if people/AIM are selling/distributing powers?

You're conveniently forgetting a very simple explanation for where Wanda & Pietro got their powers:

It's magic.

Yeah, I know you and some other people can't stand the idea of magic in a pseudo-scientific nuts-n-bolts sci-fi world, and cling to Clarke's Law to explain away the supernatural; but the simple truth is that Dr. Strange is coming soon, and his magic is certainly *not* going to be explained away by "a sufficiently advanced technology, alien or otherwise."

And Joss has specifically called Wanda a "witch," and I don't think that's a euphemism. Joss has plenty of experience writing about witchcraft and the supernatural, and I'm sure he wouldn't be the least bit shy at saying Scarlet Witch is just that --- a witch.

In witchwhich (ha! wordplay) case Wanda & Pietro could quite simply be spellcasters, possibly even tied to Dr. Strange as either friends or foes. And you could use the typical fictional approach to magic and the supernatural in the modern world by saying yeah, it exists, yeah, it works, but only a handful of people know how to control it, and the vast majority of the public just dismiss it all as hokum. It's a milieu that doesn't require a lot of explanation, and audiences of all ages have all pretty much already bought into since, like, forever.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote