View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #41
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mandarin in Iron Man 3...Love it or hate it? - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I STILL loved the twist. But I can understand why people who really liked the Manderin would be pissed. I thought the character was the stupid in the comics, so the twist was totally fine with me.
A lot of the people that were upset probably liked the character. You didn't, which is why it doesn't bother you. Perhaps they did, which is why it bothered them.

Like the Superman thing, regarding the controversial ending to Man of Steel. I won't bother with spoilers, but some people hated it, some people loved it, and it was all because of their feelings on the character going into the movie. It's a change to a character. Some fans like it, some don't. It's that simple.

The problem I had with the twist wasn't just that they changed the character, but they promoted this menacing terrorist leader being portrayed by Ben Kingsley, heartlessly killing innocent people, yet they turned him into a joke. It's like telling your wife you're going to her favorite restaurant, but taking her to Burger King (unless that IS her favorite restaurant, but you get the point).

I very much would have preferred that Mandarin overseeing everything. However, I can understand the change, making him a more modern character. Personally I think the ultimate story of one man getting revenge on another man for not playing in his sandbox when they were younger was a bit simplistic. Having the terrorist leader running the organization that captured him and turned his life completely upside-down would have made for a more personal story with a complex background.

I could go on and on but I won't. Point is I think most people were upset with the fact that we had filet mignon dangled in our faces, but got a whopper.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote