View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #86
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: "...a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent": Does this not worry anyone els

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificBoy View Post
Could a big brother Batman dynamic not work out (and be interesting) though? A mature relationship which helps to realize Superman's potential as the leader of the Justice League?
It's not just about getting it to work. The execution is only half the battle. The other half is the concept.

Suppose you execute it right. The question you then have to ask yourself is if it was worth going this direction instead of going with the classic Batman/Superman dynamic we know. Can the classic Batman/Superman dynamic not be done just as good as this idea or done even better? Changes to the source material should always be welcome but only when the idea you will bring to the big screen is better than the idea that was in the source material. Otherwise, what was the point?

If you really like the direction they're going in and even prefer it to the classic Batman/Superman dynamic, the more power to you. Me personally, I have no interest in the direction they're going with. Not only do it find it boring but I also think it is bound to make both Batman and Superman look bad for reasons already addressed.

Also, there is no official set-in-stone leader of the JL. There are "first among equals" though. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman hold that title most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. I'm in your camp; I prefer them to be about the same age, and to be learning and stumbling along together.

And I'm trying to stay positive. I don't know if you noticed, but I really have a very sunny personality.
I can't stay positive. I really tried my best but after everything I've been hearing about this film - being prematurely rushed in development, being made at WB's will instead of at Snyder/Goyer's, Snyder asking Frank Miller for advice on the film, casting Affleck as Batman, letting Goyer and Snyder write the script all by themselves, etc.) - I can no longer stay positive. Making Batman much older than Superman and changing the Batman/Superman dynamic was the last straw for me. Almost anything past this point would be blind optimism on my part.

Quote:
I know, I know. I can think of how it'll be, and it makes me cringe. But I remain hopeful that maybe, just maybe, they'll surprise us. Maybe?
Oh, they surprised me, alright. I think WB should get themselves checked for superpowers. It is amazing how they are able to surprise me everytime with how bad they fail at properly doing a DC property right in live-action (save for a few exceptions). Just when I think they can't screw up anymore, they prove me wrong. It's gotten to the point that I loose almost all excitement for anything they announce because I know they will most likely screw it up. I can't get excited for the Gordon show announced because I really don't trust WB, despite me wanting to see a Gordon show for years.

This particular film is what brought me to this conclusion. Back when this film was announced, there were particular things about it that I just knew wouldn't be screwed up with Snyder as the director. One of those things was Batman himself and the Batman/Superman dynamic. I just "knew" that at least those things would be done great and straight-off-the-page, as bad as the film might be. And I was even wrong about that.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 09-29-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote