View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #632
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I'd sooner place the blame on the vfx studio rather than the method. I would definitely pull for WETA or ILM to take on majority of the work this time, as Krypton was damn near flawless compared to the latter half.

We should always strive for practical photography, but there comes a point where it's just not time/cost effective, or even ideal. Snyder made a big deal over "shooting real" so I don't think it was for the lack of trying. By his own accord Superman's feats are a special effect anyway, so there's not much to be be done to do it justice via actual humans. Particularly in the Smallville fight, there were a handful of shots that would be outright impossible to pull of seamlessly with real actors.
true; though I think the thing that makes this even harder for the filmmakers is that they're dealing with a character, or set of characters, that possess super speed, super strength, and durability.

I mean you don't really get that kind of combo in a character for a lot of films, so it's easier to make action sequences look more real since the people involved in those projects don't have to also compensate for the other factors.

If it's just super speed, then you can still do some great fighting choreography that looks very real, of it's just super strength and durability, then you could do on how the they did for Terminator and a lot of wire work that shows the people getting flung around.

But when you put all of those three factors together, it's damn well difficult to make a action sequence involving all of that in several people while making it look real.