View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #292
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Your point falls apart as this point was further illustrated by the characters, JorEl believes this so much that he was willing to break a great rule of krypton in the natural birth of KalEl. This is what I mean by contradicting themselves, we are told kryptonians are predisposed to certain roles within their society. Engineered with the purpose of carrying out that role and then bam we have a scientist taking out several people bred for combat single handedly. This wouldn't have been an issue if they were not trying to reinforce the fact that in order to escape this predetermined destiny you had to be born free of the system. Your trying to tell me this yet you have a man at the very start of the film breaking this concept in half before the story even branches out.

Except Batman wasn't bred solely to fulfill one role, also JorEl wasn't a warrior but a scientist. Again this wouldn't be much of a problem if the film didn't reinforce the concept of predetermined roles. Seems Goyer and co where trying to be a bit clever and raise a certain theme in the film but when closely examines falls apart.

When what is shown and stated contradict one another what is the audience to do but to question this huge contradiction.
Basically:

1) They wanted a "deep" backdrop of a Krypton without choice, so that Kal-El could be a special birth, a special baby, and the movie's theme could be choice, and it could set up Planet Earth as a foil and thus make viewers feel good, because viewers like Earth;
2) They wanted Jor-El to be one of the most ultimate badasses in the history of science fiction films, and they wanted Zod to be a rebel against his society;
3) They never realised or cared that "1" and "2" contradicted each other.

I don't think most viewers consciously notice these details. Nevertheless, it would have been a more powerful film experience if they had painted a much more sterile-looking and sterile-feeling Krypton, rather than just telling us that Krypton was sterile.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 09-30-2013 at 04:44 AM.