View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
gdw
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman as a Vehicle for the Surveillance State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post
I much prefer Frank Miller's anti-authority rebel Batman to Nolan's Right Wing Batman.
Um, Miller is considered a right wing nut (Randian actually, as I understand it,) and his Batman in TDKR is viewed as the embodiment of his views.

This is one thing I never fully got, regarding this "interpretations" of Nolan's Batman; He's not at all "right wing." He is the clear contrast to the rest of the "1%" in Rises. Not that being considered in the "1%" makes one "right wing."

The "extraordinary rendition" parallel in TDK is certainly relevant to the comparisons with the Nolan/Bale Bat, but this also brings up the HUGE difference between PRIVATE actions, and STATE actions.

Not that an action suddenly becomes moral, or immoral, solely based around whether it is the government committing it, or a private individual.
Kidnapping is still kidnapping, theft is still theft.

The BIGGEST difference between Batman and ANY government wing/party/action is principle. Batman acts on principle, doing his best to never betray what he is fighting for. Batman fights on principle, for justice.
The state is EXACTLY the opposite.

As the Joker says, he truly is incorruptible.

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote