View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #45
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: An Argument For A Batman Who Is At The Peak Of Human Conditioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
I hate to be that guy, but:

You write down, for example, that The Dark Knight sold 18 million units. Yeah, it sold 18 million DVDs... but that doesn't include the number of blu ray units, the number of digital copies sold, and international sales:
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2008/BATM2.php
Oh yeah, and it doesn't include the platform sales for the platform known as the movie theatre. For that one, ~100,000,000 tickets were sold, implying at least ~50,000,000 viewers.
I didn't realise the results missed out BR releases (not much of an issue for The Dark Knight given the sales would still be heavily DVD based). But seeing a film before home media release is not a "sale" it's a service, you don't own the film, you pay to see someone else's copy.

Quote:
Whereas with Batman: Arkham Asylum, you are taking in total sales across every platform (which you're not doing for TDK), and you're including both domestic and international sales figures. That's why you have a less lopsided total, you are cherrypicking your statistics.
I'm not including every media, just the three that it's easiest to find sales for, iOS also sells Arkham stuff.

Quote:
So even if we take the 7 million consumers of Arkham: Asylum, it still does not compare very well at all. It's still an obscure property. I'm glad you enjoy it, I'm glad a lot of people enjoy it, but to argue that the Batman movies should be structured as fan service to consumers of Arkham Asylum the video game is nonsense.
This argument was about people wanting Arkham Batman? I only got involved because I saw some incorrect statistics (and then provided my own, so we're both at fault there).

But this still doesn't mean anything because as I said, cross media comparisons don't work. For example, as someone else pointed out, popular games make more money than films (Arkham isn't that popular even within gaming, it's not to gaming what superheroes are to cinema), so why wouldn't WB take cues from their own projects?

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote