View Single Post
Old 10-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #37
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Default Re: What OTHER elements from The Dark Knight Returns could we see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
And a part of me thinks Goyer is trying to make this Batman a tad like Bale's.
I agree, and I don't think that's a bad idea. Pardon me for using a term coined by Bryan Singer to describe an inferior Superman movie, but I think it makes sense to treat the teamup movie as a "vague sequel" to the Dark Knight trilogy so far as Batman as concerned.

By this I mean that whereas in the 1989-97 Batman movies Bruce Wayne was just always Batman, in the Nolan films audiences actually saw his origin in excruciating detail. We saw a young Batman and his first encounters with all the classic Bat-villains - Joker, Catwoman, Two-Face, Ra's al-Ghul, Scarecrow. In the process, and to much critical acclaim and record-setting box office grosses, Christian Bale became Batman for a generation.

That's a tough act to follow. MOS got made thanks to Nolan's clout at Warner Bros. after the Dark Knight trilogy, and his name featured heavily in the marketing for the movie - which itself had a strong influence from the Nolan movies given that it had the same writer and likewise opted for a "gritty realistic" approach.

But while the DC Cinematic Universe as imagined by Snyder is Nolan-like, there is clearly a difference in that it also allows much more fantastic science fiction concepts, which would have jarred with Nolan's more prominent concern for "realism". The beauty of that for Batman is that we can have a return to a more fantastic approach as well - somewhere between Nolan's "realistic" Batman and Tim Burton's gothic vision (Ben Affleck has the potential to direct some great solo Batman films).

A rebooted Batman shouldn't mimic all the aspects of the previous version - otherwise what's the point of a reboot? - but I don't see a problem with retaining influence. The best analogy is James Bond. Prior to the Craig version, with its very linear history, all previous Bond movies had been in a sense "vague sequels" despite recasting.

Audiences have already seen Batman as a young man and an older one who came out of retirement only to retire again at the end of The Dark Knight Rises, one of the most financially successful movies ever (not adjusting for inflation). By the time 2015 rolls around, that'll have been only three years ago. Bale's Batman is still too fresh in everyone's minds for the producers of this movie to ignore it completely, IMO.

That's why I think it's a great idea for Affleck's Bruce to be "tired and weary", especially if they're looking for that Dark Knight Returns influence. It allows general audiences who remember what happened in The Dark Knight Rises to in a sense jump off from there.

Even though Nolan's trilogy will be unrelated to the DC Cinematic Universe, it can still work as a sort of vague history (another analogy: Ang Lee's Hulk and Louis Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk) - except as pointed out by another poster, this will be a Batman in his early 40s rather than his 50s as in Miller's story. Coincidentally, that's about the same age as Bale's Batman would have been if Warner Bros. had somehow managed to convince him to return as Batman.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote