View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #28
Tempest
Life is a cookie

Default Re: Team Bats or Team Supes / Team Clark or Team Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
The connection he is making is Batman beating up insane criminals who assault, murder, rape, and terrorize citizens is somehow something that kids draw on to bully quiet, oddball, cerebral kids who are doing nothing wrong. That's ridiculous. If anything, it's an example of bullying or physically engaging the bullies, who might be a little messed up in the head. I can agree that that is not always the best way to handle things, especially in the school setting.
Actually, when you put it that way, it makes things even worse, because really this isn't Batman's fault, but the writers' who insisted on using the insane to be the bad guys in the first place.

I'm not even certain that the characters could be classified as 'insane' in the legal sense at all in the first place. There's definitely levels of psychological disorders, but I'm not sure that would qualify as making them insane. Has that been dealt with at all in modern comics, or has that kind of been ignored? I admit to a rather appalling amount of info on Superman, but my comic love for Batman is more sporadic.

Basically, the writers used a vulnerable segment of the population to turn into bad guys. Insane = criminal = Batman justifiably beating up on them. That may not have been the OP's original concern, but it's one that has bothered me for quite some time.