View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 03:20 AM   #31
Oswald
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman hits women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
^I'm not an expert... but I have a loose idea of what vengeance is... so I'd say you're incorrect.

Vengeance is not synonymous with hate. It's more about retribution. Vengeance doesn't require hate. It requires a need or desire to see justice done through excessive force, or in many cases, an act committed outside the legality of the law. Payback is another good word for it. It has little to do with "releasing tension caused by pain" in my opinion. Wrath can also be righteous, whereas hate is not.

I think you're getting a lot of terms and definitions a bit mixed up in your head my friend. You ignored most of what I said, and responded in kind to only what suited your own theories. I put a lot of effort into responding to you and brought up some valid (if not insightful points). I suggest you take that in instead of posing behind a broad question about whether or not I understand vengeance. I have a feeling you understand it less so than I do, otherwise you wouldn't have started the topic.
Ok, let's put some objetivity here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatred
"Hatred (or hate) is a deep and emotional extreme dislike that can be directed against individuals, entities, objects, or ideas. Hatred is often associated with feelings of anger and a disposition towards hostility"

Doesn't the crusade of Bruce Wayne match with this definition? I think it perfectly does, the hate doesn't necessary entail kill the object of the aversion, this emotion also moves to avoid, restrict or hurt (not necessary killing) it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenge
"Revenge is a harmful action against a person or group in response to a grievance, be it real or perceived. It is also called payback, retribution, retaliation or vengeance; it may be characterized as a form of justice, an altruistic action which enforces societal or moral justice aside from the legal system. Francis Bacon described it as a kind of wild justice"

Ok, so you maintain Bruce does a kind of "natural justice", don't? He punishes the criminals with the fear that Batman's figure produces, in retribution of his parents's murder. Ok, I agree with that, but it doesn't change he hates them, that's just the way he has choosen to express that hatred. Also if he really wanted justice/retribution he would've killed Joe Chill (he deserved it cause he killed his parents), but he didn't. Instead he dresses like a bat and terrorises the criminal underworld, and that makes me conclude the retribution isn't his real goal, because the Batman's figure just works with those criminals which are afraid of it, but what happens with the rest? Nothing, he makes nothing but putting them in prison or in Arkham (where they finally always run away), and that's the reason why I think he's another madman, one oriented to the Order instead of to the chaos, but madman after all.

Oswald is offline   Reply With Quote