View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #304
lc23
Fan of Steel

Default Re: What's So Bad About Superman Returns?

I found watching Superman Returns to be a painful experience. I felt like the explanation that it was a homage to the Donner films was to cover for the producer/director/screenwriters' laziness and lack of creativity by using someone else's translation of Superman onto the big screen rather than doing the "legwork" of coming up with their own interpretation of Superman source material.

With the exception of maybe on or two scenes, the overall world in SR felt unnatural and closed off. It was like Metropolis was stuck in a snow globe with no one realizing it, not even Superman. Everything read false and like too much of a stage/set, rather than real world settings, especially during outdoor scenes.

My issues with the plot, characterizations, and actors aside (minor things, I know), what made SR so terrible for me was I felt like I was watching an updated CG-enhanced STM clone that had none of the heart or charm that made the original so great. I know Singer and co. really tried, but it didn't work for me.

lc23 is offline   Reply With Quote