View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #866
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
The "hot" line has never bothered me. It's a typical joke you'd find in any of these movies. And I don't know about anyone else but it got a good audience response all 4 times that I saw it. At least the movie didn't have an overpowering amount of dumb jokes like in the Avengers... ugh.
Both posters who acknowledge the failings in MoS and those who deny the failings consistently claim that their reactions were backed by audience responses. I think every scene in MoS has been described as having a mass audience response. You apparently had a mass audience reactions *on all four occasions* to that dumb line. It's hardly the most poignant line or scene in the movie. It's not even in the top-5. I wonder if there was any quiet at all in any of your screenings. Were you able to hear the dialogue?

I'm curious, how many scenes in the movie got "mass audience reactions" in your showings?

Personally, I'm a bit glad to have moved out of the USA in the one respect that I no longer need to deal with audiences reacting to every scene. Audiences are a lot more quiet in Australia than they are in America. They don't moan and sigh after every bad scene and cheer after every good scene.

There was nonetheless one obnoxious twit in my movie theatre, but I only noticed him because I had the misfortune to sit next to him. He kept complaining that the Kent family was shown as having a different dog in every scene, which I guess to him was a continuity error, for the Kents to have a different family dog in different scenes... never mind the fact the average lifespan of dogs in 10 years and thus we should see 3 or 4 different dogs on the Kent family farm. I wanted him to STFU. Other than that, there were no mass audience reactions to any of the scenes in MoS in the two screenings I went to -- mercifully. I was allowed to respond to the movie on my own terms and at my own pace, and I didn't need to struggle making out the dialogue from audience noises. In this sense I feel a bit sorry for you -- you are denied the opportunity to come to a conclusion on your own terms, free of external influences.

I remember a few years ago, when I was in the USA (I lived in Columbus, Ohio for 5 years), went to the movie theatre with some friends and some British people visiting came with us. They were absolutely shocked that the audience burst into applause, "why are these people clapping?" The purpose of clapping in a live theatre is to let the stage actors know that their performance was appreciated. The purpose of clapping at the end of a movie theatre showing? To share your feelings with the other audience members -- it is tremendously self-absorbed.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 10-13-2013 at 07:55 PM.