View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #193
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Yeah.

I really wonder what the enthusiasm for this film will be like in a year especially from all the people that were heart-broken by Man of Steel.

This time twelve months ago MOS was all I was thinking about. It was unhealthy obsession. I can't see myself doing that again for this film. Not after the emotional roller-coaster that was June 14.

I'd love to be proven wrong but I'm sure the writing is going to be the weakest point again. At least we're not going to have the awkward structuring of flashbacks/present time. It's still hard to tell if the clunky pacing of MOS fell on the editing bay or the script. I just wish there was a great writer involved. I think we can expect good; possibly MOS level good; but I just can't expect anything great from Snyder/Goyer. I hate to be a cynic but I really just don't think they have it in them. Plus the very blockbuster-ish nature of the film being a Superman/Batman team-up doesn't really inspire the most beautiful of stories.

It's going to be a big loud action movie with Snyder exercising his nerd cred by putting to film the most comic-booky of visuals of the two greatest heroes together. Should we expect anything more? And I think it's a certainty that the hype will revolve around the new Batman.
I completely agree, and that's all I'm expecting. Snyder has got to be primed to unleash his inner fanboy on this movie, and that's probably exactly what WB wants him to do. I think the primary goal here is to make this film a must-see event for the masses to stay afloat in the summer of Star Wars and Avengers, and to make something that will be a massive geek out for the fans. It's kind of like the parents are gone for the weekend (the Nolans are no longer involved with Batman) and the kids are about to throw the biggest house party ever.

There's nothing wrong with those things, if they want to make that kind of film then by all means they should make it and I'm willing to go into the film on those terms. I have nothing against a purely fun comic book film with a dash of substance on the side. I just hope if that's the case, it's reflected in the advertising. The thing is, all of Snyder's movies look like masterpieces from their trailers, and WB has a reputation of being the "weightier" of the two brands and probably wants to uphold that too.

And if Snyder and Goyer manage to surprise me and exercise restraint here to a point where it truly feels like choices are being made for organic story reasons first and foremost, I'm happy to be proven wrong too.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 10-14-2013 at 02:11 PM.