View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #392
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Christopher Eccleston is playing Malekith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Ledger's Joker is is very deep. Ledger didn't win an Oscar because he died, he won one because he was incredible and added layers to the agent of chaos. The performance is incredibly nuanced. How he tells his stories, how be plays with his knives, his choice of words, how he handles different people. He seems shaky, portraying himself almost as someone who doesn't quite know what he is doing in his first meeting with the mob. Then his entire demeanor takes on a much darker ton with the body bag scene. His entire time in the GPD is incredible. From the first sight of him in the jail cell to his explosive exit.

Ledger and Nolan made the Joker a reflection of their take on Batman. He is both a response and result of The Dark Knight. In his efforts to stop the mafia he created chaos, he created the freak.
I think we look at depth differently. I mean that I don't get any deep insights into what motivates him (the "some men just want to watch the world burn" explanation is a shallow one). The performance is very layered but for depth of character I think motivation is a very significant part. The Joker isn't meant to be understood, as far as I gather, but that doesn't change that there are deeper characters in the world of movies.

As for winning an award, I don't put much stock in the Academy at all, even when I happen to agree with them. So much politics and other aspects that are separated from what it should be (and yes, I do think his death was a significant factor), and it's of course also mainly a national thing where the movies of the rest of the world play a minor part. That doesn't stop me from having the opinion that Ledger was absolutely fantastic in the role. For me his Joker is the reason to watch that movie and I keep longing for him to come on screen when the movie focuses on other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I think you're just saying that due to a certain..bias.
And I think you've been too exposed to fan wars to jump to that simplistic conclusion. I didn't compare him to Malekith as I have no definitive opinion at all about him before seeing the movie. Especially as I'm not watching any promotional things after the second trailer, so I've hardly seen him.

Ledger's Joker is one of my three favorite superhero movie villains (and I don't rank those), so I'm in no way biased against him. I just happen to think that grey characters with conflicting motivations are the most interesting ones, and I think villains that I can identify with, or agree with, on some level make for better experiences. I do not particularly care for just "good vs evil", even though that's been done well too.

Last edited by Mjölnir; 10-17-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote