View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #909
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
I know this wasn't directed at me, but IMO, the main thing that kept Bruce and Rachel from being together was his growing obsession with Batman. Other than that, there really isn't anything on a script/story level that suggests that Bruce and Rachel were incompatible.

I dislike Rachel and felt Bale had little chemistry with both her actresses. But I do think that Rachel is intended to be the love of Nolan Bruce's life. IMO, Him moving on with Selina is similar to a widow being remarried
Yeah um, that's all Bruce is, really. That and he was a thrillseeker and loved fast cars and gadgets (likely even without Batman in the picture), and she looked down on that too.

And Rachel lectured him, constantly disapproving what he was doing instead of letting him be what he was. I'm sorry, but that's not a healthy relationship. Yes, your partner should call you out on your BS if warranted, but they shouldn't want you to be a different person entirely.

Selina implored with him to see her side, but she was finally of the "if you can't beat them, join them" mindset in the end. And now that they're together, I think she'll use her own abilities to make sure Bruce doesn't get too far into the deep end. Alfred couldn't physically make sure Bruce is safe, but Selina can. And Bruce won't make her be someone else, but he can certainly use his charm to convince her.

That's why I felt she was a far better match for Bruce than Rachel was. Incidentally, my relationship with my husband is more akin to Selina and Bruce's despite the fact that we are far more boring.