View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #912
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Yeah um, that's all Bruce is, really. That and he was a thrillseeker and loved fast cars and gadgets (likely even without Batman in the picture), and she looked down on that too.
I'm assuming you're referring to the Hotel scene in Batman Begins, where Rachel is only upset that Bruce is seemingly doing shallow things while Gotham needs to be fixed.

Quote:
And Rachel lectured him, constantly disapproving what he was doing instead of letting him be what he was. I'm sorry, but that's not a healthy relationship. Yes, your partner should call you out on your BS if warranted, but they shouldn't want you to be a different person entirely.
Rachel lectured him because, a lot of the time Bruce was doing questionable things: Wanting to kill Joe Chill. Seemingly wasting his life buying hotels and riding around with random chicks. Wanting to turn himself in to end Joker's crime spree, which was not a surefire plan in the least bit. Alot of what she did WAS calling Bruce out on some of his BS.

Rachel is a badly executed character, but I can't act like Rachel was some harpy who demanded that Bruce change. After finding out he was Batman, she tells Bruce that Thomas would be proud of him. The one truly crappy thing Rachel does is be wishy washy in regards to her relationship with both Bruce and Dent throughout the movie.

Quote:
Selina implored with him to see her side, but she was finally of the "if you can't beat them, join them" mindset in the end. And now that they're together, I think she'll use her own abilities to make sure Bruce doesn't get too far into the deep end. Alfred couldn't physically make sure Bruce is safe, but Selina can. And Bruce won't make her be someone else, but he can certainly use his charm to convince her.

That's why I felt she was a far better match for Bruce than Rachel was. Incidentally, my relationship with my husband is more akin to Selina and Bruce's despite the fact that we are far more boring.

It's funny that you say Selina wanted him to see her side, because she never really makes an effort to see his, IMO...especially in regards to his number one rule.

Honestly, Rachel showed a better understanding of Bruce than Selina did, and I think Bruce could've ended up with either one depending on circumstance. I still think that because of the impact Rachel had on his life, she is pretty much the love of this version of Batman's life.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote