View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #913
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Selina accepts every part of Bruce because she can relate to a lot of it. Rachel was just a very different person.
I think Bruce had both his similarities and differences with both women.

Quote:
They were never lovers. Even the way it was written, it always seemed like they were just really great friends and Bruce loved her but I think he was mistaken in thinking it was more than just friendship. All because Bruce connects Rachel to his past, his childhood, his parents, Gotham, etc. That's part of the reason why he couldn't get past Rachel. It's not even really her, it's what she represents. Just like his parents for Batman. With Selina, she doesn't really have ties to Gotham, his parents, Alfred, Wayne Manor, all of that stuff.
Why do people act like Bruce had this one sided delusional love? Rachel straight up described him as "The Man I loved", and promised him they'd be together once he'd stop being Batman.

Quote:
Id say he looked at Rachel and im not sure if he saw the woman in front of him but only what she symbolizes. With Selina he actually is only looking at the person in front of him. In this universe Bruce and Selina is the real couple. Harvey just saw Rachel for who she was especially in that moment in time. It's like Bruce refuses to think she's changed because he's constantly thinking of the Rachel that was playing with him when they were 9. That's not how **** works! And that's ALL because Bruce didn't get a chance to grow up properly and learn simple lessons. He's always that child either the night his parents died or wishing it was before that night.
Once again, I don't think Bruce is as delusional about Rachel as everyone wants to believe at least not in the way everyone assumes ("he just sees the old her,not the new one"). Does he put enormous expectation on her as his "one hope for a normal life?" Yes. But only because she told him that she thought about him and their relationship the whole seven years he was gone, and promised she'd be with him when he was done being Batman.

I mean....all in all, I just don't see this Bruce/Selina thing as Bruce going "Selina's my alltime soulmate I'm destined to be with! My love for Rachel was only rooted in childhood nostalgia!" I see it as more like "Rachel's gone and I realize that she moved on. Let's see where this relationship with this attractive Cat Burglar goes."

Last edited by The Batman; 10-17-2013 at 08:20 PM.
The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote