View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #924
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
Don't tell me you forgot the, "Oh BROTHER" look on Rachel's face when Bruce shows up in that helicopter with the two models at the penthouse fundraiser. She already knows he's Batman at that point - she's just not impressed with his theatrics.
I mean, its not like Selina accepted Playboy Bruce Wayne either. It's not until Bruce loses his money that Selina shows even the slightest bit of compassion for Bruce...even then, Bruce recognizes that she's lying. It's when she realizes that Bruce is Batman that she changes her feelings towards him.

Either way, I can't judge Rachel for not caring for a persona that isn't real.

Quote:
She told Bruce that she couldn't be with him until he wasn't Batman anymore. I'd say that's wanting him to change, or at least putting a conditional on things. That's certainly not accepting who he is, which one HAS to do to be in a healthy relationship.

And I don't think she was a harpy, either. She cared for him, and in the end, knew that she wasn't right for him anyway and tried to be honest about that once her decision was final. (Thanks Alfred )
I can't hold that against Rachel considering that this version of Bruce dosen't want to be Batman for long either. If this were the "I'm all about the mission" Batman of the comics, I could see your point. In the end, she leaves him because she realizes Bruce hasn't let go of his demons yet.

Also, people are forgetting that Selina wanted him to quit being Batman as well ("Run away with me"), not to mention the pressure Alfred put on him to finally retire. In truth, the only character who actually didn't want Bruce to change was Fox.

This version of Selina and Bruce only get together when Bruce stops being Batman....which is basically what Rachel initially wanted to do in the first place.

Quote:
But she did. She stopped thinking of herself and came back to help him save Gotham. (I can just imagine her cursing him under her breath as she turns the Batpod around at the tunnel. )

Up until then, she did what she reasonably could to help others, but if she was actually in danger, she was outta there. It was always about looking out for number one, and thanks to Bruce, it wasn't anymore.
I think she helped Bruce because she cares for Bruce, not for the whole city. She does not share his level of idealism or compassion. And as much as people like to say he and Rachel were incompatible, Rachel did share his idealism and compassion.

Quote:
And besides, not killing isn't exactly Batman's "number one" rule. It's his one rule that he can't break in his line of work, but he's never said it was the first one he'd ever consider. I'd argue that he's a rescuer above all - when someone's life is in immediate danger, he rescues them instead of going after the bad guy.
If it's his one rule, I'm pretty sure its his "Number one" rule by default, lol. Either way, Catwoman murders Bane in cold blood, when she really didn't have to. Firing a cannon is overkill.

Quote:
Well, duh, Rachel knew him longer. But she just because she understood him better at that point in time, doesn't mean that she accepted him better. At its root, a relationship isn't about understanding, it's about acceptance.
Joker knew Batman all of what, two weeks and showed a better understanding of him than Selina did. I don't think Selina necessarily "accepted" him more than Rachel did. Relationships are sometimes about timing. Bruce wasn't ready to move on from being Batman at the time of BB/TDK, which is one of the main factors is Rachel choosing Harvey. However, by the end of TDKR, not only is Rachel dead, but Bruce realizes she chose harvey. Not to mention that the love interest he had for most of that movie was a lie created by his enemy. The timing for him to get with Selina was perfect.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote