View Single Post
Old 10-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #936
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Default Re: "You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by balanda View Post
I just watched Thor again. Thor refers to himself as "just a man" when he is vulnerable on Earth - which sort of implies a lack of godhood more than anything alien.

OTOH, Darcy and Jane's speculation "Advanced beings could have come through it before." and "A primitive culture like the Vikings might have worshipped them as deities." is more science-fiction-y.

I think Marvel are keeping it kind of ambiguous deliberately, but more science fiction than fantasy.
As I've said it a few times before, it's all about perspectives, perceptions, semantics & definitions. Define "god", define "alien", define "magic", define "science".

Are Asgardians gods? Yes, in that they are the same beings that the norse worshiped as gods.
Are they all powerful/knowing? Clearly not, though they have power beyond that of humans.

Are they Aliens? Well they aren't from earth, so yes they are.

Do they use magic or science? They obviously have tried and tested processes for harnessing forces that humans don't yet understand (i.e. there has to be a science to their magic), otherwise how do they control it and get the repeatable, desired results?

There isn't really a clear cut answer.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote