Thread: "Joyless" ?
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #42
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Default Re: "Joyless" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRYPTON INC. View Post
Again, Jon Kent had valid concerns that the exposure of his son's existence would have drastic consequences for THE ENTIRE WORLD, many of the permutations which he knew he could not see, but he did know a lot of them would be negative, both for Clark AND the wider world. See the responsibiity of that as a more than likely outcome was what Jon was trying to put off as long as he could, and for the sake of his son and the world he was willing to die.
You keep not mentioning the connection there. So Pa Kent wanted his son NOT to use his powers. Okay. So he thought... I'll kill myself, that's gonna stop him?

Quote:
Yes they could have written it like a Silver Age story and just have Clark use "super speed faster than the eye could see" to save people. But they didn't go for such a simpleminded (but no less valid) approach to the character. They presented a world where there was no idealized 3rd option. They went for a story that took the possible consequences of it's core concept seriously as one could in an action/adventure summer tentpole film.
Simpleminded or not, it is the non stupid way to do it. Let's see how fast you are. Mh, pretty fast, so you can save people, not expose your identity and I don't have to die, which I didn't anyways.

I don't think there's a plausible version of the story that forces Pa Kent to take his own life in order to stop his son from saving lives. And it's even less plausible that Clark would have let him die. There's just no way that would have happened.

Criticism here is that Goyer tried way too hard to put some tragedy in Superman story.

I mean, I even would have taken Pa Kent exposing Clark to a but of Kryptonite so he wouldn't save those people. But dying...? What for?

Quote:
Finally, I gladly admit what I am going to type is itself perhaps a difference without a distinction. I owe up to that 100%, but it's how I see things. People are using "suicide" to describe the twister scene, most likely because it is a very charged word with strong negative emotions attached to it.
Just calling a spade, a spade.

Quote:
Perhaps this is reflective of peoples view of taking ones life in real life more than it is representative of what happens in the twister scene. For those that have a positive view of MOS I think the term we would substitute is sacrifice. And, yes, to my mind self sacrifice, even unto death is noble and heroic.
Call it The Ultimate Death if you will, but it didn't have a point. And so much so that Clark decided he would save lives anyways.

Quote:
I don't expect all to agree with my views nor am I presenting them as some absolute truth that you must accede to. I will say I think I have been cordial in presenting them and I hope you can see a rational and intuitive arguement being made by myself.
I see a lot of great description but nothing that shows how much Pa Kent was forced to do that, how he didn't have any other more sane option or how much effective it was.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote