View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #62
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Default Re: Batman hits women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
And Batman not killing may just mean...that he doesn't want to be a killer. I unequivocally hate rapists, abusers, and murderers, but I don't believe in the death penalty. I don't think that's a paradox.
Honestly? I don't hate anybody. I can say that in truth. I can't carry around hate in my heart... too heavy a burden I think. I feel sorry for murderers. I don't feel sorry for them in the sense that I wouldn't want to see them behind bars, but I do feel sorry for them in the sense that the choices they've made have shattered many lives other than their own. I feel sorry for them that they've wasted their life and committed acts from which there's no turning back. It's a sad state of affairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
Oh yes, breaking the nose seems a good way to show someone the erroneous of his behaviour. Do you know the doctrine which is based on that principle? The fascism, and it has proved to be a fantastic way to organise society...
Well now you're just being glib. I'm talking about breaking a nose to get a pain response. I'm guessing most of these villains don't understand remorse or compassion, or either they've swept it under the rug and buried it so deep it would seem they have none, but they understand physical pain. Stepping outside of the law as Batman does, you use the tools available to you. That includes your fists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
And the comparison between Batman and the rest of superheroes isn't valid for two reasons: 1- he doesn't have powers, so he moves in a realistic plane most of his "colleagues" don't; 2- he has a traumatic origin (unlike Green Arrow, for example) which explains his behaviour like part of a serious psychological disorder where anger and hatred play an important part.

For the rest I totally agree with the posts of Anita.
I wasn't comparing Batman to other superheroes, so not sure where that statement came from. But to say you can't compare him to other heroes is somewhat invalid. It's the heart and his actions that makes him the hero, not the powers (or lack thereof). And again, you keep mentioning hatred being a part of his disorder. You have yet to prove that.

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote