View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #63
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Default Re: Batman hits women?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Honestly? I don't hate anybody. I can say that in truth. I can't carry around hate in my heart... too heavy a burden I think. I feel sorry for murderers. I don't feel sorry for them in the sense that I wouldn't want to see them behind bars, but I do feel sorry for them in the sense that the choices they've made have shattered many lives other than their own. I feel sorry for them that they've wasted their life and committed acts from which there's no turning back. It's a sad state of affairs.
To be fair, I do feel for people who find themselves in a culture of violence and realize, too late, that there are other options to them. We have an organization here in LA, Homeboy Industries, that hires former felons (who are often unhireable, and gang members to boot) and turns them into functional members of society. The priest who runs it should be canonized. He's a saint, as far as I'm concerned. I love that organization, I've stopped by their stores and booths, and I want to give everyone there a high five and a hug.

I commend people who turn their lives around, and I believe in rehabilitation, but they have to decide to turn their lives around FIRST, before I feel true empathy for them. I'm certainly not going to feel bad for them when they're still taking advantage of people.

Again, this might go back to me being a petite woman. All my life, I've been taught to fear being kidnapped, raped, and yes, murdered. My parents are paranoid, but I think every woman has some of this fear in them. I'm not going to feel sorry for someone who looks at someone like me and thinks how easy it would be to throw me into a car trunk and have his way with me. Hell no.

That's why I love Batman. Batman is a big scary guy who lurks in the dark himself...but he's on our side. He's a good guy, and beats up the people I'm afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
I wasn't comparing Batman to other superheroes, so not sure where that statement came from. But to say you can't compare him to other heroes is somewhat invalid. It's the heart and his actions that makes him the hero, not the powers (or lack thereof). And again, you keep mentioning hatred being a part of his disorder. You have yet to prove that.
He's a hero because he works for good. He would be controversial in real life, because his methods are controversial, but he's a good guy at the heart of it.