10-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Join Date: Jan 2009
Re: The Official Batman TAS Thread - Part 1
BTAS Episode: Fire From Olympus
- Fittingly, Stavros is captured next to the Zorbas, which has Greek letters Omega and Alpha in the title. The name is derived from a novel called Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
- Maxie's line "Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!" comes from Percy Bysshe Shelley's Ozymandias, a poem telling of human hubris.
- Many references to Greek Mythology are made in this episode:
- The Hydra was a many headed dragon that would re-grow heads after they were cut off. It was eventually killed by Heracles and Iolaus. The boar is the Erymanthian Boar, another one of Heracles' opponents.
- Although of Roman origin, Janus was in fact depicted as a two-faced god and was lord of beginnings and endings, doors and gates.
- Demeter, whom Maxie Zeus equates with Poison Ivy, was a goddess of fertility and was responsible for times of plenty. The winter and autumn months came when she was grieving over the loss of her daughter Persephone. Poison Ivy had previously used Demeter as a pseudonym.
- Hermes, whom Maxie Zeus equates with the Joker, was the messenger of the gods. He was considered to be a trickster and a thief as well.
- Clio, whom Maxie Zeus equates with his assistant, was the muse of history and often depicted as being a daughter of Zeus. The muses were minor goddesses but they too were worshiped.
- Hades, whom Maxie Zeus equates with Batman, was the eldest of the Olympian gods, and ruler of the underworld. Though considered a Dark God, he was not actually evil and kept the dead in check. In this continuity, however, Hades is depicted as an evil villain and Batman actually comes into conflict with him in "Paradise Lost".
- Bellerophon, whom Maxie equates a Police Blimp to, was a mortal warrior who managed to tame the winged horse Pegasus, he eventually tried to join the gods on Mount Olympus but was killed by a thunderbolt from Zeus.
- Harpies were creatures used by Zeus to punish evil people by eating and spoiling their food, and carrying them off for torture before their deaths. However, they were usually depicted as having heads of women and bodies of birds.
- On Yanni Stavros' file, he is listed as a resident of Gotham City, New York—but his zip code is 90068, the zip code of Los Angeles. In "Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero", Barbara Gordon and Dean Arbagast were given New York zipcodes starting with 100.
- Maxie Zeus recognizes Two-Face as Janus, however, Janus was a god of Roman mythology, not Greek, and does not have a Greek equivalent. He also mentions "Lord Vulcan", which is the Roman name for Hephaestus
NEW RETRO WAVE
FM-84 | Running In The Night (feat. Ollie Wride)