View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #38
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Thor 2: Rotten Tomato Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I don't think it's about wanting others to think like you.

If TDK got a rotten rating fanboys would be upset because the movie, in their opinion, deserves a better reputation.

I admit that reputation is mostly is important because it validates ones opinion but it also means the entire genre will be elevated by the public. This can have various of benefits to fans of the genre including attracting better writers and directors for future projects.
It's certainly that because plenty of people called reviewers idiots for thinking that MoS (just continuing on my previous example) was bad even before they had seen the movie themselves.

I don't think that someone that just think it's sad that a movie doesn't get a good reputation will actually complain like the people that get upset over opinions do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
A truly great movie can transcend genre bias. Alien won over non horror and non sci-fi fans. So did The Exorcist and The Empire Strikes Back.

I think that's the ultimate test of a genre movie. Can it win over people who despise that genre while still satisfying fans.
Some would also argue that truly great movies won't appeal to the masses because the masses don't want complex or deep stories that require something from the viewer.

I think that if you define the quality of a movie by how many people like it then you view it as a product rather than as art. I try to leave that to the bean counters at the studios.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote