View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #67
Farren
Side Kicker

Default Re: Time travel method and ripple effect thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Again, you are ignoring all the viral site stuff (have you read it?). They state the Sentinels have been in service since 1973 (so they were finished, one even present at Reagan's inauguration) and they are still in service up until the date the site is set in (2020 plus). Zero mention of them ever being out of service for a convenient 13 years while the OT through to the Wolverine took place.

So either the viral site is accurate information for Trask & the Sentinels history for this film, or its all a misleading cheat.
Even though I think your earlier analysis of think is really good, wobbly, I also think that the viral site might be playing coy with us with respect to the sentinels. I think it is possible that they were around in the OT film timeline, but weren't active on US soil during the time of the movies. I made a (long) post about this issue here, but the concise version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trask industries
The Sentinel Program

In 1973, Trask Industries introduced the first Sentinel production model, the Mark I. Bolivar Trask’s groundbreaking research in AI, robotics and autonomous ballistic systems laid the foundation for the world's most capable anti-mutant defense system. Since the program's inception, we’ve continued to advance our founder's cause through eight additional generational upgrades and enhancements.

As we celebrate five decades of achievement, we also bid farewell to regular production of the Mark I and shift our efforts to full-time manufacturing of the Mark X — our first complete overhaul of the Sentinel line. These highly anticipated units will combine next-generation nanotechnology and bioweapon breakthroughs, promising an even brighter future for the human race.

Sentinel Mark I (9th generation)

Between 1973 and 1996, Trask produced 8732 Sentinel Mark Is for the governments of the United States, China, Russia, Israel, Saudi Arabia, France, India and the United Kingdom. The Mark I is still in service and current generations include the following features...
I find it suspicious that the production statistic doesn't go past 1996 -- it makes me wonder if the program was shut down (or regulated in a way that meant no new sentinels could be made) after that year. We also haven't seen any viral pics of sentinels that are clearly set post-1996 (as opposed to the Regan inauguration one). I think it's possible that sentinels were more active up until 1996 when the political atmosphere changed and they became more tightly regulated (perhaps unable to act on US soil) or even put out of service. Then after Magneto started stirring up stuff during the OT the US/World governments decided to use the sentinels on the mutants. (That would be when they started adding in the mutant detecting upgrades and designing the Mark X.)

Again, I don't disagree with your idea that we're looking at an already altered timeline -- I've defended that idea in the past. But I think, based on what we know/don't know so far, that it could go either way (altered or not altered) at this point.