View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #83
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Who dies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
It depends on how Bucky is received in TWS and Avengers 2. "Captain America: Fallen Son" about Bucky trying to live up to Cap could pique interest if done right. New protagonists have been done well, with Bourne Legacy, GI Joe: Retaliation, and a whole host of video game franchises. The idea that killing off or replacing the main character removes all the appeal of the franchise is false. After all, if people feel like A) the same story is being continued and B) They like the new guy as much or more, why wouldn't they show up?

I do agree they would want to bring Steve back though... how and when is anyone's guess, I think. I also like the idea of Thor. I say kill 'em both!
GI Joe 2 is a bad example because Tatum was in it (though he was killed off). Let's see how BO for GI Joe 3 shakes out. Now, Bourne is a fair comparison:

Bourne Ultimatum - 227 dom, 442 ww
Bourne Legacy - 113 dom, 276 ww

Bourne lost over 150 million dollars in replacing Damon. That's a fairly steep drop. Yes, it still did fairly well, but I don't think Disney wants to lose money going from Cap 2 to Cap 3. The goal is to keep making the BO money. I think it'd be a dumb move to do this with Cap 3.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote