View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #98
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Default Re: The Official James McAvoy/Professor Xavier Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
This is what has always worried me about Charles' role in DoFP. In other films, older Charles is essentially a non-action character. And since his powers make him almost a deus ex-machina, he's always knocked out or captured or dead so that his telepathy won't offer an easy and fast resolution for any conflict.

I don't know about him walking, though. I mean, I would love to see him taking part on the action, I just hope that if he's walking it won't be a simplistic resolution that puts aside the tragedy of dealing with his paralysis.
I was wondering what you thought about that, Loganbabe. I was thinking about that this weekend; at first, I thought the images of Charles standing might be a between-shot photo or Mystique, but now, I'm thinking he is really standing.

Personally, I hate the idea. Don't get me wrong, I very much want Charles involved in the story and more so than just using Cerebro for the millionth time. But...jeez, what a message. He can't do anything unless he can walk?

His injury is one of the few elements in the story that draws on realism, that even a mutant can get hurt the same as any average Joe, not to mention the reason he was injured was due to this human/mutant conflict.

In addition to that, it also makes the character look incredibly weak; I mean, people in real life have to learn to cope with this type of injury. It's clear at the beginning of the movie, he's a train wreck. So you're telling me that the only way he can resolve this personal trauma is to be magically cured of it?

For me, it's the equivalent of having them travel further back in time and have Magneto's mother be resurrected. Total cop out.

While Charles Xavier is building his school, the Brotherhood has plans of its own—to build a mutant army. And soon, Magneto will discover there’s only one person who can build it for them…Charles.

Click Here to Read.

Last edited by Nerial; 10-27-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote