Thread: "Joyless" ?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 04:23 AM   #64
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Default Re: "Joyless" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I really don't like how Superman is now suddenly obligated to be happy-go-lucky and funny just because the Donner films said so. In my opinion, they held the character back from reaching the sort of potential I wanted to see, and is probably the reason to why many prefer Batman to Superman.

I personally believe Superman can be interpreted to be even a more tragic, angsty and somber character(as seen in some episodes of Smallville) than Batman, except he chose rise above all that tragedy and make things better and hopeful about it rather than go deep and vengeful about it like Batman.

In my perception of how a Superman origin should go(which MOS nailed btw) it should carry the theme of sacrifice(as emphasized in the Krypton sequence as Jor-El had to betray his people to save his son and sacrifice his life to save Kal-El, the Tornado scene where Jonathan Kent told his son not to save his life just to sacrifice his life for protecting his secret and in many instances in Smallville, the show). For anybody, knowing that your loved ones will always sacrifice their lives and die for you because of what you will bring to the world(even though you are practically a god) and that "the world will always need you" would weigh anybody down.

Plus the fact that he "lives in a world of cardboard" and that he lived as a human only to realize he was never one of us, plus always having to hold himself back creates many hardships for him, another somber and perhaps angsty theme that comes with being Superman. This was seen a lot in Smallville(for example in the early years he felt he could never truly be with Lana even when the door was wide open and of course in the movie with the flashbacks).

All in all, the bottom line here is: Superman, especially in modern years is not as happy go lucky as some people think he is. I think in later movies there will be a progression in tone and things will become more hopeful.

Dude !!!! You're speaking the justice !

MOS was meant to be Superman for the 21st century. Turn on the news folks, the 21st century isn't a particularly happy go lucky or cheerful time. What internet connectivity and unlimited access has revealed is that human suffering and conflict are going on everywhere, and war where the enemy is clearly identifiable and civilians aren't targets has changed to terrorism and warfare that specifically targets the innocent, and people slaughter each other along ethnic and religious lines. Sure, that happened back in WW II, but it was carried out by nation states, and other nation states eventually put an end to it. Today it's so common that it runs unchecked.

Anyway, the Superman of 1978 would be woefully out of place in this world. Instead, we have a beer-drinking, watching football while doing the dishes working-class Superman. Yeah, he frowns a lot but that's because for the first half of the movie, he's feels lost and isolated from the human race.

The look on Clark's face when he first learns to fly, that's ****ing magic.
He laughs ! Remember how Reeve serenely soars away ? Well in MOS learning to fly isn't easy, in fact nothing Clark does is easy, when he exerts himself he grunts and strains (lifting the oilrig tower, flying up the gravity beam, tackling Faora ....). Anyway, at that moment when he first is learning to fly, it's the first time he feels free, so he laughs.
That's pure joy, at last his powers are a gift, not a curse.

And when he explains to Ma Kent that he's found his people, there's joy on his face. Cavill does a great job.

All in all, MOS is a much darker and more serious film but it reflects the times. All those who *****ed about MOS being too dark, are too wrapped up in holding on to 1978.

I see Superman still being quite serious as time goes by, as he begins to understand the enormous burden that Jor-El put on him, by suggesting that he be the hope for the entire human race. Being Superman is a staggering responsibility, having the power to actually make a difference, but still only being one person.
Essentially, when Superman gets involved it means that things are getting pretty serious, and the fate of the world is at stake....a job for Superman.

I hope they don't lighten the mood too much. The place where there's humour is in the interactions of the characters (rather than the story) and
Adams did a great job with her role -she was probably the lightest element of the film.

And as for joy. Let me tell you, I remember seeing Superman the movie back in 1978, and the thrill I felt coming out of the theatre, I felt the same thrill coming out of MOS. When Lois says "welcome to the planet" she's not welcoming clark to the newspaper, she's acknowledging that at last he's stopped hiding (as in pretending he doesn't exist) and has decided to join the human race ( true he's still in disguise, but at least he's no longer just an urban legend). From there his real journey begins,
I found that pretty hopeful, sorry to hear that many didn't

In summary, MOS rocked, Superman for our time, plenty of joy there.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote