View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
horacethegrey
Side-Kick

Default Re: What didn't you like about T:TDW?

Reposted from my review in the Fan Review Thread.

Story lacked heart - The first film worked for me because it brought human dimension to the story of Thor's banishment and learning humility. This, plus the focus on his relationship with Odin and Loki gave us some great drama and managed to be very heartfelt. The Dark World on the other hand, is simply about Malekith wanting to gain control of the Aether, a flowing piece of Dark Matter that accidentally bonds with Jane Foster. Said storyline could have offered some emotion or drama, but it never really does. The only scenes that moved me in any way was Frigga's death and Thor's scenes with Loki. It's time like these that I really miss Kenneth Branagh's direction.

Odin the Jerkfather - What the hell?!! Why is Odin suddenly so cold and heartless here? What happened to the wise and compassionate ruler in the first film? Did the writers turn his character around just to add some drama? What a waste of an great actor like Anthony Hopkins

Malekith - Beyond being absolutely intimidating whenever he appears, nothing about Malekith makes him a memorable villain. A shame, since Christopher Eccleston could have really killed it in this role if they gave him more stuff to do, instead like Hopkins he seems wasted.

New Score- I loved Patrick Doyle's score in Thor, and I was sorely missing it here. Brian Tyler's score for The Dark World is not bad, but it's much too loud and bombastic. And doesn't offer the same sweeping and intimate moments that Doyle's score had.

Last edited by horacethegrey; 10-31-2013 at 11:24 AM.
horacethegrey is offline   Reply With Quote