View Single Post
Old 11-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Default Re: Man of Steel vs Thor TDW, seen 'em both, what do you folks think ? Compare/contra

Thor: The Dark World

Thor reminds me of Iron Man 2 but with a cooler setting.

It sets up a lot of potential story points and themes and does nothing with them. The actual plot is extremely basic by the movie's end. It took me a while to get into the movie. It starts quite unspectacularly, and its climax is quite unspectacular.

However, it gets by on a good amount of jokes and memorable lines per minute. And it's extremely well realized visually. Asgard is just amazing and I just had fun being there.

However, although it's fun, it's not satisfying overall. It doesn't have a good 'core'. Somehow less satisfying than the original, which had underwhelming set pieces, etc, but a simpler better executed story arc with more heart. So I can't say I wasn't disappointed.

6.5/10. (Pretty much in line with the Rotten tomatoes average rating of 6.6).

Man of Steel

Got into it right away with the birth scene and was captivated right up until the tentacle scene at the end when the third act became monotonous. The climax was powerful however and the ending was uplifting.

I found the core of the movie, the main themes, etc, to be quite powerful. Loved all the flashbacks etc.

This movie also did a good job of amazing me. It felt like it raised the bar for the superhero genre in some ways. You've never seen superheros fly or fight quite like this.

My only major complaint other than the pacing is that I wish its climax didn't fade out on a downer. It ultimately doesn't feel 'hopeful', and the overall realization of the main theme is a little bit diminished. There's also some really bad CG at times during the Smallville fight.

8/10

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 11-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote