View Single Post
Old 11-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #346
mongoose-mania
Gentleman

Default Re: The Danny Elfman Appreciation Thread

The Danny Elfman concert on Halloween completely blew me out of the water. I've been a fan of Elfman and Burton since I was a child, and since I never got to see Oingo Boingo perform, I absolutely had to go to this show. I flew all the way out from Philadelphia PA just to be there. What an experience!
The orchestra and choir were in perfect form. At times, I would say they even surpassed the recordings released on the soundtracks. There's just something about hearing those scores performed that put a huge smile on my face, and there was such an electric energy in the theatre that night. When Danny Elfman finally took the stage during the Nightmare Before Christmas set, everyone lost their minds. Here he was, after all these years, back on stage again. His performance, his energy, the sheer ferocity he put into the songs that night was spectacular. Having Catherine O'Hara make an appearance for "Sally's Song" was an added bonus. Of course, one of the greatest moments was when Elfman and conductor John Mauceri performed a duet of "Oogie Boogie's Song." It was as if Elfman had gone all the way back in time to his Mystic Knights days, dancing wildly across the stage, putting his all into every lyric.
When it was all over, Elfman brought Tim Burton out, and the roof was almost blown off the place. Having them both there that night, celebrating each other and putting on the best show I've ever seen, really made it the greatest Halloween of all time.
Highlights were Pee-wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman/Batman Returns, Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie, Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Alice in Wonderland. Really, an incredible show all around. I hope there will be some kind of DVD release in the future.

mongoose-mania is offline   Reply With Quote