View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #99
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: Fan Review Thread SPOILERS INSIDE - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I'd probably say the scene could have been toned down and not played for laughs if there was a better first act in place. Sometimes humour is used as a defensive tool in order to cover weaknesses in story in the same way an action sequence is used. That's not to say the jokes can't be funny at the time, but it's not until afterwards you go 'hang on a second...'. However for some people the jokes don't work when they watch it, which I can understand.

Those, plus Sif's feeling about Thor, but specifically his mum's death. It's actually a good reason for Thor and Loki to go after Malekith from an emotional perspective, however there was no real Mother/Son relationship built up to that moment in this movie, or even in the previous film. The real relationship is Thor/Loki. As such there's never any sense of there being anything personal about Thor taking on Malekith, the humour toward the end of the film further dilutes that. I honestly forgot that his mum died in this movie by the time the finale came about because things started getting a little bit silly toward the end. The emotional stuff happened in the previous act with Loki.
Thanks man. I didn't realise humour could be used as a defensive strategy to compensate for limitations, but now that you write it that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Pretty much. If anything I actually think the humour works in the films favour, because if it was played straight faced the film would have been easy to pick apart. I'd go so far to say the reaction would be more Man of Steel like.
Why is it that the humour in T:TDW succeeds in covering up for the film's failures, but the action shots in MoS do not succeed in covering up for that film's failure? We agree on many of the film's problems, yet it right now has an 83% critical rating and 88% audience rating on RT. As far as general reactions go, T:TDW is a much better movie. Is it that the underlying story is only nearly as bad and not as bad, or that the humour in T:TDW is better than the action in MoS?

Also, you're being kinder than I am, this is what I wrote on my review:

Thor 2: The Dark World is what one would get if Man of Steel and Chronicles of Riddick got together, ****ed, and then somehow made a baby that managed so synthesise the worst of both of them and none of the good.