View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #24
Drizzle
All the chicken.

Default Re: Am I the only one who is pro-Special Editions?

There were more bad changes than good ones. The only improvement was ditching the Yub Nub song at the end of ROTJ for a more mature score. I don't think there's anything wrong with the ESB special edition. Some of the added effects shots to ANH are fine, like the shot of the X-Wings approaching the Death Star.

The Jabba scene in ANH may seem okay on paper, but the CG Jabba is horrendous. The version they created for the 2004 DVD release is only a slight improvement over the 1997 abomination. Han shooting first doesn't bother me as much as it does others, but it's still unnecessary. I'm actually more bothered by the change to Obi-Wan scaring away the Sand People and Vader's "NOOO!" in ROTJ. The CG creatures and droids added to Mos Eisley are pointless, and those effects actually look more dated than some of the practical effects from 1977. But the absolute worst thing about the special editions is that awful "Jedi Rocks" song. I actually liked it when I first saw the ROTJ Special Edition in 1997, but that's because I was an 8 year old kid who didn't know any better. It is just cringe-worthy. The original one wasn't that great either, but at least it wasn't an eye sore to watch and dare I say it was a lot more subtle. I'm not a fan of seeing Hayden Christensen either, but it sort of makes sense in context.

I'm actually surprised that George didn't add anything into the prequels besides TPM when they were released on DVD. Revenge of the Sith could have actually benefitted a bit from its deleted scenes (Padme and Bail Organa starting the rebellion, Yoda arriving on Dagobah).