View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #42
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: Spiderman in the Avengers "world"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
That line right there, beginning to end, is BS. You can speculate as if it's a given all you want but that doesn't make it so. Also it makes ZERO Sense economically on Sony's side. They stand to make much more doing Spidey solo films

People who watch Spider-man and the Avengers are not two different audiences. If ASM3 would make 700 mil and A3 would make 1300 mil than doesn't mean a spidey avenger film would be 2000 mil...more like...1500 mil. And even then, when you factor in costs etc Sony wouldn't see anywhere near that 700 million it could have made.It makes sense for Marvel but NOT Sony
Sony is certainly hoping that the general public will retain interest in Spider-Man solo films subsequent to their seventh release scheduled for 2018. But ASM experienced a 20% dropoff from the last installment of the Raimi series, and there is no guarantee that this is an evergreen franchise. In box office results the series has slipped below Iron Man, and may fall below Thor, which I never thought would be possible. How confident will Sony be launching their eighth big budget Spider-Man film in, say, 2023 with a new star and new director?

One way to lessen the risk is to link the rebooted Spidey to the MCU films and television shows. Marvel will be recovering from the likely loss of the Avengers original "Big Three", and it would behoove Marvel and Sony to work together. What about a deal in which Marvel handles the team-up films with Sony producing the solo flicks? Perhaps using the Miles Morales version of Spidey to provide the audience with something new. I'm not certain what format a Sony/Marvel agreement would take, but I would be surprised if it doesn't happen.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote