View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #43
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Default Re: Spiderman in the Avengers "world"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Sony is certainly hoping that the general public will retain interest in Spider-Man solo films subsequent to their seventh release scheduled for 2018. But ASM experienced a 20% dropoff from the last installment of the Raimi series, and there is no guarantee that this is an evergreen franchise. In box office results the series has slipped below Iron Man, and may fall below Thor, which I never thought would be possible. How confident will Sony be launching their eighth big budget Spider-Man film in, say, 2023 with a new star and new director?

One way to lessen the risk is to link the rebooted Spidey to the MCU films and television shows. Marvel will be recovering from the likely loss of the Avengers original "Big Three", and it would behoove Marvel and Sony to work together. What about a deal in which Marvel handles the team-up films with Sony producing the solo flicks? Perhaps using the Miles Morales version of Spidey to provide the audience with something new. I'm not certain what format a Sony/Marvel agreement would take, but I would be surprised if it doesn't happen.
I'm not too worried about Spidey, here is why:

TASM was the highest grossing reboot of all time. It did this despite being sandwiched between TA and TDKR. Ice Age 4 opened 1 1/2 weeks after taking away many of the family audience. TDKR opened 3 weeks later taking away it's young adult audience. It still became the highest grossing reboot despite re-trending similar ground to the first Spider-Man film.