View Single Post
Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #29
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Default Re: iron Man's first flight or Superman's (MOS) first Flight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
As I find that a tad condescending, and also factually unsupportable.
I will take this opportunity to respond.

On that note, if you like "realistic" superheroes, you will really enjoy
Batman Earth one - if you can believe in genius, billionaire, forensic
scientist, mechanic, chemical engineer, athlete, detective ninjas.

I love Batman, and my wife's favourite TV show is Person of Interest,
which has basically split Batman into two people the fighter/detective
and the scientist/genius/billionaire, and even that is a bit far-fetched.

Anyway Feel free to read or ignore what follows. It is not a personal attack, on you or your taste, but it is a rebuttal of your assertion.

Your statement

"Adults are over the impossible of classical, fantasy superheroes and looking forward what's doable and still inside the realism sphere."

is simply not correct.

Personally, I'd rather be Superman than Steve Jobs or Barack Obama any day. And, personally, I prefer escapist entertainment, because if I want to see what's possible, I turn on the news.
I suspect the billions of Harry Potter fans are with me on that one, btw, many of them are adults, although I don't like Harry Potter, so perhaps Lord of the Rings is a better analogy. When I last visited the Weta cave, there were a lot more adults in there than kids.

Anyway, if Adults were really over such things (let's pretend Harry Potter didn't exist), WBros and Disney would not have an audience for their super-hero films, (the billion dollars made by the Avengers say otherwise) or the Fast and Furious films for that matter, which violate Newtonian laws in the most outrageous ways. Or perhaps Star Wars, because lightsabres, telekinesis-precognition-telepathy (the Force), ghosts, aliens seem to be outside what's "doable". Didn't you like Star Wars, Chief Chirpa ? The argument that we like those things as kids
and then get over them, is equally fallacious, given the number of
adults who went to see the Star Wars prequels.

If you really want to go down that rabbit hole, you might consider how many adults conform to belief systems that involve omnipotent anthropomorphic beings, and demi-gods who can return to life, after being nailed to trees. Or the billion or so hindu, whose pantheon includes a god with an elephant head. By your argument, adults should be "over" that.

So, while you are completely entitled to like what you like, and more power to you, your assertion that unrealistic entertainment is not the domain of adults is thus not borne out by facts.

There are of course, plenty of adults who do not enjoy unrealistic escapism, but to make a general statement that adults are over such
things is utterly wrong.

QED
I don't see it to be condescending, but just speaking a slight fact that adults is less prone to get attached to fantastic entertainment, whether you want to admit or not. If grownups mind too much on fantasy, they would forget on the real issues easily - family, jobs, economy, social life. Adults have responsibilities (more so if they have families) and instill a self-compass on what adds benefit to their life or not. Entertainment is just what it is; to intersperse your daily routines only if it's needed. But entertainment can't be the norm unless you make a living out of it or you're still a minor. Children? Yes children could have more "playtime" (read: entertainment) than adults because they are not expected to have responsibilities at their ages. Children don't work, study, or achieve much on anything that could only happen if they cut back their "playtime".

I don't suppose you could say most HP fans are adults. Potter is last decade phenom and it's public knowledge that their core fans are tweens who have become young adults now. I doubt when they've become adults a majority of them still carry out their magic brooms. Star Wars geeks are SW geeks, also have grown ups now. Some become Convention-going SW geeks but that's not the norm. My nickname was created a decade ago and I have a passing interest on Starwars. Yes I do like escapist entertainment, but no I'm not madly in love with it so I keep reading SW or any comics, having SW posters plastered on the wall or imaging myself in a Stormtroopers suit while working.

Please don't go with religion == Superman/fictional supernatural stories, people are sensitive on that. Religion is not fiction to some, heck most people perhaps - including me.

chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote