View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Default Re: Will Hawkeye Still be a Part of SHIELD in AoU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
No, Hawkeye didn't have a thing to do with SHIELD in 616; he was a circus trick-shot artist who became one of the Avengers For Avengers' Sake (like Giant-Man, Wasp, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Wonder Man and plenty of other Avengers who are known only for being Avengers, and not solo artists).

That depends....are those "cops" actually mercenaries armed to the teeth, who are trying their damnedest to kill you for crimes you didn't commit?

And yes, everyone here, including me, knows full well that Hawkeye was "under the influence." But that doesn't hold up as a legitimate excuse in a court of law. If you're "not in your right mind," for whatever reason --- drugs, booze, insanity, mental retardation, Norse god controlling your mind --- the court takes all that under consideration regarding the question of premeditation. That doesn't address the issue of the penalty for the actual killings at all, though. Again, the charges would probably be lowered to some form of manslaughter, and most certainly wouldn't be labeled Murder One; but there's not a court in the world where Hawkeye wouldn't do at least *a little* jail time for his crimes.

Mental hypnosis, like the insanity plea, *isn't* the "get out of jail free" that opponents like to paint it to be --- you still get sentenced, you still do hard time in a hardcore asylum (not some Dr. Drew Malibu rehab resort), and the shrinks won't play softball on you. They'll make damn sure your brain gets "fixed" before they even think about letting you back out into public.

And it would make a pretty cool scenario for Hawkeye in AOU, anyway. The Avengers leading an actual jailbreak to bust him out of the looney bin, and give him a chance to redeem himself to the world? What's not to like?
Your analogy is wrong. This more like being roofied or drugged by someone rather than being drunk or mentally ill. If someone feed me a drugs which magically turns me into a psychotic murderer with no free will, I doubt I'd spend more than a day in jail. or be blamed for me actions

ctsketch is offline   Reply With Quote