View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Default Re: The Double Standards Against Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
Actually, I disagree on there being people thinking Superman still sucks after MOS. The people I've met thought the film was sick, and Superman was cool. Some even asked if there were any stories I could recommend.

So yeah, I don't know what kind of people you met who thought differently than those I've met (or known).
You can't disagree with my factual statement that I know people who have laughed at Superman because they didn't like MOS.

Your experiances may have been different, but they don't make mine false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumatic View Post
hopefuldreamer

You dissapointment on how "superman" turned out in the end. And how it affected you in terms of shattering you vision of Superman and the thought that there may be an unshakable good is why I fine MOS very interesting.

As you explained with the Batman films talking about issues that the real world suffers from, I could not see a Superman story dealing with those same issues.

What is see from Kal in the movies ahead is a chance for redemption. How you feel, hopefuldreamer, is how the people and the children of Metropolis feel. Kal is a monster. But in watching the movie and seeing his past we all know that he isnt. I think this is where the true story of Superman begins. What actions does he take to redeem himself.

Could there have been some scenes where he saved some kids. Sure. But I dont think those who hated the killing would have liked the movie better. In movies last impressions count and the last action in that suit he took a life.

Are you not at all intrigued how he answers for his actions and his carelessness. Im very interested in seeing the growth of Superman as opposed to seeing him as a finished product by movie #1.
As I explained, I don't see how they can address his actions in MOS as careless or wrong in any way, without negating the supposed impossibility of the outcome, and without going back on the 'Your dad would be so proud of you' stuff that came straight after.

They've dug themselves into a hole.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote