Thread: "Joyless" ?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #83
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Default Re: "Joyless" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Indeed. Notably saving the lives of the would be bus drowning victims as a youngster and saving people on the oil rig as a man.
There is one moment in MOS, when Clark's sat in the truck with Jonathon and they are arguing because Clark wants to do more than just be a farmer (which Jonathon finds offensive, obviously).

And that's a moment I treasure, because it shows Clark actually does WANT to be more than just hiding away keeping his head down.

Other than that, his heroics only come about when things happen right in front of his nose.

Unlike many other interpretations of Superman and other Superheroes, this one does not pro actively look for ways to help people, either with his powers or with his profession (journalism i.e. Birthright).

His life seems to be focused on a) hiding and b) finding out where he's from.

A lot of us, before the film came out, talked a lot about this as well.

The whole 'I really hope it's not like Earth One and he only becomes a hero because he had too'.

Now I'm not saying that in MOS he showed anywhere near the reluctance of Earth One. I think they definitely did a great job of Cavill seeming so much more free and at peace once he was seen in the suit and people knew him for who/what he was (despite it being under extreme circumstances).

But i'm definitely looking forward to more pro active heroism in the sequel, from both his personas

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote