View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #98
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NosfeRomas View Post
I see your point and i agree but still the Avengers didn't offend any minority, at least not directly. They made fun of the general idea of things. It is no lie that Americans don't like Europeans and that the Germans were *******s during WW2 (some folks will tell you they still are) but TA didn't have Jar Jar Binks style of racism.

I totally agree with MoS, it was relatable towards everyone.
When Captain America sees Loki working the crowd in Berlin, he says "the last time I saw a lunatic working a crowd of Germans, it didn't end well".

It's a racist joke, as it attributes the rise of Hitler to Germans being Germans, as opposed to the historical and material conditions present in that part of the world at the time. It's also ignorant though, and you know what, that's what a lot of people believe.

If Loki had been working up a crowd in Los Angeles, and Tony Stark had made a comment about the Rodney King riots, audiences would have laughed just as hard (possibly even harder), and the joke would have been just as dumb and just as problematic.

There is also the continuity error that Hitler was a bit player in Captain America's first movie. If you saw the movie, the Red Skull and Hydra clearly became a lot more powerful than Hitler, and therefore he should not be associating Germany with Hitler.