View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #99
NosfeRomas
Side-Kick

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
When Captain America sees Loki working the crowd in Berlin, he says "the last time I saw a lunatic working a crowd of Germans, it didn't end well".

It's a racist joke, as it attributes the rise of Hitler to Germans being Germans, as opposed to the historical and material conditions present in that part of the world at the time. It's also ignorant though, and you know what, that's what a lot of people believe.

If Loki had been working up a crowd in Los Angeles, and Tony Stark had made a comment about the Rodney King riots, audiences would have laughed just as hard (possibly even harder), and the joke would have been just as dumb and just as problematic.

There is also the continuity error that Hitler was a bit player in Captain America's first movie. If you saw the movie, the Red Skull and Hydra clearly became a lot more powerful than Hitler, and therefore he should not be associating Germany with Hitler.
I get it but probably nobody picked on that. It's funny because if you think about it, it is offensive. I guess everyone was so overwhelmed by the fact that it was the first time we saw all these guys together because really this is the first time i've seen somebody accuse TA for racism. Interesting, very interesting.

Some of them fell into Hell