View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 05:39 AM   #111
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
You don't have to interact with someone to disagree with them.

You could post on this board that you disagree with Snyder. That doesn't mean you have interacted with him. It means you don't subscribe to his thought process.

So it is perfectly possible for Cap to disagree with Hitler without interacting with him. Hell I disagree with Hitler too and I have never interacted (not can ever interact) with him.
All very nice, but in Captain America's world and mind, Hitler was not the major German figure of world war II, the Red Skull was. So though that anti-German joke has meaning in our world, in his would it would have less meaning. It would be more equivalent to someone here referring to Himmler or Rommel, and I guarantee you that 90% of people on the street don't know who Himmler and Rommel were, just as they don't know who Hirohito was. Therefore, when Captain America made the following joke:

"You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing."

It only makes sense in his world to assume he was referring to Red Skull, who was a man standing above everyone else when he was in Germany and they ended up disagreeing. However, the audience laughed because they thought it was a reference to Hitler.

All that aside from the fact that the joke is childish anti-German nonsense. What's the analogy between Loki and Hitler? They're both gathering a crowd of Germans. Hahahaha. Once more, if Loki had been in Los Angeles, and someone had made the same comment as CA but referring to Rodney King and not to Hitler, the audience would have laughed just as hard, but it would be recognised as silly and problematic.

So two problems have been demonstrated. The joke is offensive. And it's a continuity error. Carry on.